The best pasta often starts with a simple base, pepped up with ingredients like chilli, parmesan and herbs. This pasta follows the model, but a little added ginger gives the dish an unexpected warmth and vibrancy.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 800 gm canned diced tomatoes
- 20 gm ginger, finely chopped, plus extra finely grated ginger to taste
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 500 gm penne rigate
- Extra-virgin olive oil and finely grated parmesan, to serve.
- 1Heat oil in a deep-sided frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and transparent (10 minutes). Add tomatoes, ginger and chilli, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce deepens in colour (5 minutes). Season to taste with salt and extra ginger.
- 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain, reserving a little pasta water.
- 3Add pasta to tomato sauce and toss to coat, adding a little reserved pasta water to loosen. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve topped with parmesan.