- 1 Chinese roast duck, halved (see note)
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 1 small pomelo, segmented
- 8 lychees, pitted
- 100 gm cherry tomatoes
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (firmly packed) each mint, coriander and Thai basil, coarsely torn
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
- 2 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 small red birdseye chillies
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tsp light palm sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- 1For nahm jim, pound chilli and garlic to a coarse paste in a mortar and pestle, stir in remaining ingredients and set aside.
- 2Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 190C. Deep-fry duck until deep golden (1-1½ minutes). Be careful, hot oil may spit. Drain on absorbent paper, coarsely chop and transfer to a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and nahm jim, toss and serve.
Chinese roast duck is available from Chinese barbecue shops.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of