- 1 Chinese roast duck, halved (see note)
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 1 small pomelo, segmented
- 8 lychees, pitted
- 100 gm cherry tomatoes
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (firmly packed) each mint, coriander and Thai basil, coarsely torn
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, very thinly sliced
- 2 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, thinly sliced
- 2 small red birdseye chillies
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tsp light palm sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- 1For nahm jim, pound chilli and garlic to a coarse paste in a mortar and pestle, stir in remaining ingredients and set aside.
- 2Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 190C. Deep-fry duck until deep golden (1-1½ minutes). Be careful, hot oil may spit. Drain on absorbent paper, coarsely chop and transfer to a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and nahm jim, toss and serve.
Chinese roast duck is available from Chinese barbecue shops.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Hotel AwardsAustralia's Hotel of the Year for 2018 is revealedYesterday 10:00pm