Field mushrooms are the ultra-savoury saviours in this quick roast dinner. Top them with asparagus, cavolo nero, thyme and goat's cheese and you have a vegetarian meal in minutes. Love cheese? Grate over some extra mozzarella or aged cheddar before roasting.
- 8 field mushrooms (640gm)
- 1 bunch cavolo nero (200gm)
- 200 gm asparagus
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ tbsp thyme leaves
- 150 gm soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- Thyme sprigs, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Remove stalks from mushrooms then finely chop stalks. Reserve the smallest cavolo nero leaves. Trim and discard stalks from remaining cavolo nero and shred leaves. Halve asparagus crossways and lengthways.
- 2Heat half the oil (30ml) in a large frying pan. Add onion, chopped mushroom stalks and shredded cavolo nero, and cook, stirring until softened (3 minutes). Add garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant (1 minute).
- 3Brush tops of mushrooms with olive oil. Place, cap-side down, on oven tray. Divide the filling among mushroom tops; top with asparagus and reserved cavolo nero leaves. Drizzle with remaining oil (30ml) and scatter over cheese. Bake mushrooms until tender (15 minutes). Serve scattered with thyme sprigs.