- 2 tbsp, extra to serve treacle
- 3 eggs at room temperature, separated
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup pouring cream
- 40 gm, extra for cooking butter (melted)
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 4 red gala apples
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- To serve: crème fraîche
- 1Combine treacle, egg yolks, milk, cream and butter in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Stir in combined bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, then whisk in flour until a smooth batter forms. Using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold into batter until just combined.
- 2Halve apples and, using a melon baller, remove cores, then cut halves widthways into 2mm-thick slices, keeping slices together.
- 3Melt a little butter in a 17cm non-stick frying pan or omelette pan, add 1 cup batter and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until base is dark golden. Fan apple slices from approximately three-quarters of an apple over top of pancake, then place 1-2 slices in centre. Scatter with 2 tsp granulated sugar and cook under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until top is set and apples slightly caramelised. Slide onto an oven tray and keep warm. Repeat three times with remaining butter, pancake mixture, apples and sugar. Serve warm, with extra treacle and crème fraîche passed separately.
Drink Suggestion: 2002 Gramps Botrytis Semillon.