With no cooking required, this quick Japanese-meets-Mexican dish makes an ideal start to any festive celebration. Tostadas would work well in place of the nori bases.
- 500 gm sashimi-grade salmon, cut into 5mm dice
- 1 small avocado, cut into 5mm dice
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- 2 sheets toasted nori, cut into rough 5cm-6cm squares
- Shichimi togarashi (see note), micro-shiso (optional; see note) and roasted black sesame seeds, to serve
Smoky miso mayonnaise
- 45 gm japanese mayonnaise, such as kenko or kewpie (see note)
- 3 tsp shiro miso (see note), or to taste
- ½ chipotle chilli in adobo (see note), finely chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1For smoky miso mayonnaise, process ingredients in a small food processor until smooth and season to taste.
- 2Combine salmon, avocado and chives in a bowl, add smoky miso mayonnaise to taste, toss gently to coat and season to taste.
- 3Top nori squares with salmon mixture, scatter with shichimi togarashi, micro-shiso and sesame seeds and serve.
Shiro (white) miso paste, Japanese mayonnaise and shichimi togarashi are available from Asian grocers, and select supermarkets. Chipotle chillies in adobo are from select delicatessens. Micro shiso is available from select greengrocers.