Spaghetti in the cupboard, olives and capers in the fridge and a handful of parsley – this pasta dish, all punch, saltiness and pantry staples, is a real crowd-pleaser.
- 500 gm dried spaghetti
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 150 gm green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers in vinegar, rinsed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve
- 1Cook spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente (6-8 minutes). Drain, reserving pasta water.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add garlic and stir until fragrant (1 minute). Add olives, capers, lemon zest and juice, then add spaghetti and toss to warm through, coat and combine. Loosen the sauce with a little reserved pasta water if too dry; the spaghetti should look glossy. Season to taste, add parsley, toss to combine and serve scattered with parmesan.