- 185 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¾ cup)
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated rind only
- 12 red mullet fillets (about 600gm), boned (see note)
- 500 gm dried spaghetti
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a frying pan. Add garlic and chilli and cook over medium heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Add lemon rind and fish and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up fish, until just cooked (4-5 minutes). Add lemon juice and keep warm
- 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and add to fish mixture.
- 3Add parsley to pasta, toss to combine and serve immediately with crusty bread.
If red mullet is unavailable, you can substitute with another oily fish, such as barramundi or snapper. Ask your fishmonger to remove the bones for you.