Kisir, a Turkish salad based on burghul, is quick to prepare and goes well with just about any protein. If you're serving this salad on its own, add some chickpeas to make it more substantial. It keeps well, too, so make double and you'll have another meal ready to go.
- 300 gm coarse burghul, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ gm (loosely packed) mint, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Roasted capsicum dressing
- 75 gm (3 pieces) roasted capsicum (see note)
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1Cook burghul in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (6-8 minutes). Drain.
- 2For roasted capsicum dressing, place ingredients in a blender, season to taste and blend until well combined.
- 3Transfer burghul to a serving dish and toss with onion and herbs, season to taste and drizzle with dressing to serve.
Roasted capsicum is available from delicatessens or supermarkets.