This classic salad can also be served as a cheese course. Instead of incorporating the Roquefort, serve a wedge of it beside a little pile of the salad, perhaps with crusty baguettes.
- 2 william or corella pears
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 clove of garlic, halved
- 60 ml hazelnut oil (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 red witlof leaves separated
- ½ cup (loosely packed) frisée
- 1 punnet mâche, trimmed
- 300 gm Roquefort, crumbled
- 50 gm hazelnuts, roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1Using a mandolin or V-slicer, thinly slice pears lengthways, place in a small bowl and toss gently with lemon juice.
- 2Rub the inside of a serving bowl with the cut inside of the garlic clove, then add hazelnut oil and pinch of sea salt and whisk, adding vinegar a little at a time until combined. Add pears, witlof, frisée, mâche, Roquefort and hazelnuts to dressing, toss gently to combine and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Young Sauternes (Bordeaux) or other botrytis semillon.