- 100 gm fregola (see note)
- 6 thin slices guanciale (see note)
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 200 gm frozen peas, defrosted
- ½ cup each basil and mint, coarsely torn
- 250 gm buffalo mozzarella, coarsely torn
- To serve: crusty bread
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1Cook fregola in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender (10-12 minutes), drain well and spread on a large tray to cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Place guanciale on an oven tray and roast until crisp (3-4 minutes), then set aside.
- 3For garlic lemon dressing, warm oil in a small saucepan over low heat, remove from heat, add garlic, lemon rind and juice and set aside.
- 4Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, drizzle zucchini with olive oil, season to taste and cook in batches, turning once, until golden (3-4 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- 5Blanch peas in a saucepan of boiling salted water (1 minute) and refresh.
- 6Combine fregola, torn guanciale, zucchini, peas, herbs and mozzarella in a large bowl, season to taste, drizzle garlic lemon dressing over, toss to combine and serve with crusty bread.
Note Fregola is a small Sardinian pasta available from select delicatessens. If it's unavailable, substitute Israeli couscous and cook according to packet instructions. Guanciale is cured pig's jowl available from select delicatessens. If it's unavailable, substitute mild pancetta.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am