Green smoothies have graduated from health fad to breakfast stalwart. The key is to balance the sweet and savoury elements, and include at least one ingredient that imparts a smooth texture. In this case, ripe avocado does the job. Seek out fresh, cold-pressed almond milks available now (rather than shelf-stable tetra-paks) – they make for a much tastier result.
- 250 ml (1 cup) almond milk
- 50 gm baby spinach
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 banana
- 1 tbsp almond butter (see note)
- 1 tbsp honey, or to taste
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- 1Process ingredients and a handful of ice cubes in a blender until smooth, and serve scattered with extra cinnamon.
Almond butter is available from select health-food shops and the health-food section of select supermarkets. If it's unavailable, substitute unsalted peanut butter.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm