- 80 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp each thyme, sage and rosemary, finely chopped (loosely packed)
- 400 gm mixed red and green grapes
- 2 tbsp plain flour, sieved
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 80 gm marinated goat’s feta, drained
- 6 thin slices mild pancetta
- 12 sage leaves
Rough puff pastry
- 450 gm plain flour (3 cups)
- 450 gm chilled butter, coarsely grated
- 120 gm crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp each finely chopped chives and flat-leaf parsley
- 5 witlof, bases removed, leaves separated
- 1For rough puff pastry, sieve flour and 1 tsp fine salt onto a work surface. Scatter over butter and cut into flour with a pastry scraper until roughly mixed (there should still be small lumps of butter in the mixture). Make a well in the centre, add 180ml iced water and use pastry scraper to just combine. Bring dough together with the heel of your hand, then form into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (20-30 minutes). Roll on a lightly floured surface to a 1.5cm-thick rectangle. Fold short ends together to meet in the centre then fold in half to form a book fold. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (20 minutes). Repeat rolling and folding twice. Roll on a lightly floured surface to form a rough 15cm x 40cm rectangle, transfer to an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Heat half the butter in a frying pan over low heat, add onion and garlic, sauté until tender (5-7 minutes). Add herbs, stir to combine, then set aside to cool. Combine grapes, flour, onion mixture and olive oil in a bowl, season to taste and scatter over pastry, leaving a 2cm border. Fold pastry edges over, brush with eggwash, then scatter over goat’s feta and bake until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over high heat, add pancetta and turn occasionally until crisp (3-4 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper and set aside. Wipe pan with absorbent paper, heat remaining butter until foaming, add sage and fry until crisp (30 seconds-1 minute). Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- 4For witlof salad, whisk crème fraîche, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl, season to taste, then stir through herbs. Drizzle over witlof.
- 5Drizzle agrodolce grape tart with vincotto and olive oil, scatter with pancetta and sage, and serve with witlof salad to the side.
Drink Suggestion: Pale, dry rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen