A turkey can turn out to be quite a large affair for a small Christmas and the hassle of undercooked legs and overcooked breast can be solved by just using the legs - and you don't have to miss out on stuffing.
- 2 turkey legs (500gm each)
- 270 gm cavolo nero
Apricot and pistachio stuffing
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 90 gm rindless bacon, finely chopped
- 60 gm dried apricots, finely chopped
- 100 gm pistachio kernels, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- Juice and julienned rind of 2 oranges
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp potato starch
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 1For stuffing, heat olive oil in a frying pan, add onion and bacon and sauté over low heat until onion is soft and caramelised (about 15 minutes). Stir in remaining ingredients and season.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Using your fingers, gently create a cavity between skin and thigh of turkey legs. Halve the stuffing and spoon into each cavity. Place legs skin-side up in a roasting pan and roast until golden brown and juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer (40 minutes).
- 3For orange sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, place over low heat and stir continously until thickened (1-2 minutes). Season to taste.
- 4Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add cavolo nero and cook until just tender (2-3 minutes). Drain, serve with turkey, drizzle with orange sauce and serve remaining sauce
on the side.
Drink Suggestion: Rich pinot gris. Drink suggestion by Max Allen