- 200 ml fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 birdseye chillies, finely chopped, plus extra, finely sliced, to serve
- 500 gm skirt steak, trimmed
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 200 gm mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime, plus extra wedges, to serve
- 8 slices sourdough bread or crusty white loaf
- Mint and coriander, to serve
- 250 ml rice vinegar (1 cup)
- 60 ml fish sauce (1/4 cup)
- 40 gm caster sugar
- 1 birdseye chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne
- 1Combine fish sauce, garlic and half the chilli in a non-reactive container (see note) large enough to hold steak snugly. Add steak, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate to marinate, turning occasionally, for 2-3 hours. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- 2For pickled carrot, stir vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, chilli, garlic and 60ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil, then pour mixture over carrot in a non-reactive container (see note) and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- 3Heat a barbecue or char-grill to high. Drain steak from marinade, pat dry with paper towels and drizzle with oil. Grill, turning once, until cooked rare (3-4 minutes each side), transfer to a plate to rest (10 minutes), then thinly slice across the grain.
- 4Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, remaining chilli and lime juice in a bowl and season to taste.
- 5Lightly grill bread slices on the barbecue, then spread half with mayonnaise. Top with sliced steak and pickled carrot, and scatter with herbs and extra chilli. Sandwich with remaining bread slices and serve with lime wedges.
Non-reactive bowls are made from glass, ceramic or plastic. Use them in preference to metal bowls when marinating to prevent the acid in marinades reacting with metal and imparting a metallic taste.
Drink Suggestion: A spicy, earthy young grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen