This three-tiered berry and pistachio pavlova is a real showstopper. The pavs and the raspberry ripple can be prepared a day ahead, but should only be assembled at the last minute, and served without delay.
- 165 gm (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 165 gm (¾ cup) raw caster sugar
- 225 gm (about 6) eggwhites
- 1¼ tsp white vinegar
- 1¼ tsp cornflour
- 20 gm finely chopped pistachio nuts, plus extra coarsely chopped, to serve
Raspberry ripple cream
- 125 gm (about 1 punnet) raspberries
- 2 tbsp pure icing sugar
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 300 gm (1¼ cups) crème fraîche
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C. Trace a 16cm-diameter circle on each of 3 separate pieces of baking paper. Place pencil-side down on lightly oiled baking trays. Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer to soft peaks (4-5 minutes), then, with motor running, gradually add sugars and whisk until firm and glossy (2-3 minutes). Whisk in vinegar, then fold in cornflour and pistachio. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and pipe evenly within circle templates. Place in oven, reduce temperature to 120°C, and bake until crisp but not coloured (1¼-1½ hours). Turn off heat and cool completely in oven with door closed (at least 6 hours or overnight). Meringues will keep in an airtight container for a day.
- 2For raspberry ripple cream, crush raspberries and icing sugar in a bowl. Whisk cream, crème fraîche and vanilla seeds in a bowl to firm peaks, add raspberry mixture and fold in to form ripples.
- 3To assemble, place a pavlova on a serving plate, spread with a third of the raspberry ripple cream, top with another pavlova and repeat layering, finishing with a layer of raspberry ripple cream. Top with berries and flowers, and serve immediately.