Black rice adds a delicious nutty texture to this beautiful monochrome bowl, while the miso dressing brings a rich umami note.
- 400 gm black rice, rinsed (see note) (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds, plus extra to serve
- 350 gm sashimi-quality skinless kingfish fillet, thinly sliced
- 150 gm cabbage, very thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 100 gm black fungus, torn
- 60 gm enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- Thinly sliced spring onion, to serve
White miso dressing
- 1 tbsp shiro miso
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- 1Place rice, 1 litre water and 1 tsp sea salt in a saucepan and soak for 1 hour. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook without uncovering for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes, then stir in soy sauce, mirin, vinegar and sesame seeds.
- 2For white miso dressing, whisk miso, vinegar and lemon juice in a bowl to combine, then whisk in oils, ginger and garlic. Thin with a little water if necessary to achieve a drizzling consistency.
- 3Divide warm rice among serving bowls, top with kingfish, cabbage, black fungus and enoki mushrooms, drizzle generously with miso dressing, scatter with extra sesame seeds and spring onion, and serve.
Black rice – not to be confused with sticky black rice – is available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Bottle-aged chardonnay Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am