- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 boneless beef shin (1.9 kg), cut into 4 equal pieces
- 250 gm peeled Italian tomatoes, crushed
- 125 ml red wine (½ cup)
- 125 ml veal stock (½ cup)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Thinly peeled rind of 1 orange
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 500 gm short rigatoni
- 200 gm Persian feta
- ¼ cup mint, shredded
- To serve: finely grated parmesan, optional
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a casserole over low-medium heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until very tender (20-30 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a frying pan over high heat until hot, add beef and turn occasionally until golden (5-7 minutes), then transfer to casserole with polpa, wine, stock, vinegar, rind and bay leaves. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the simmer, season to taste, cover with a lid or foil and braise in oven, turning meat once or twice until it pulls apart easily (4½-5 hours).
- 3Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook pasta until al dente (15-20 minutes).
- 4Meanwhile, remove meat from sauce, tear into bite-size pieces and set aside. Spoon off as much oil from sauce as possible, discard rind, then reduce sauce in a saucepan over medium-high heat by a third (10-15 minutes). Return meat to sauce and season to taste.
- 5Drain pasta add immediately to beef sauce, toss to coat and serve hot scattered with feta, mint, parmesan and black pepper to taste.
Drink Suggestion: A firm, full-bodied cabernet sauvignon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen