This salad is similar to a Western warm salad in that the dressing is mixed through while the calamari is still warm. The good thing about this dish is that it is so simple to prepare and the flavours are utterly delicious. Small calamari is best for this recipe. This dressing is perfect for prawns and scallops, too.
- 500 gm cleaned calamari
- 5 lettuce leaves (such as oakleaf), torn
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard powder mixed with 1 tbsp water, to taste
- 1 tbsp finely shredded ginger
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp chilli oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1Score the calamari on the inside in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside while making the dressing.
- 2Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the calamari and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a pot of boiling salted water, blanch the calamari for 20-25 seconds – the timing depends on the thickness of the calamari. As soon as they curl, remove using a slotted spoon and drain well. Add calamari to dressing, toss to coat, add lettuce and serve immediately.