- 250 gm block of puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 200 gm chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 125 ml pouring cream (½ cup)
- 1 tsp Tetsuya’s Black Truffle Salsa (see note)
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 5mm thick and using a 35mm-round cutter press out 24 circles, then using a 25mm-round cutter press the centre out of 12 of the circles to form a doughnut shape. Gently press the remaining pastry circles to make an indentation but without cutting through. Brush indented pastry rounds with egg and press the remaining doughnut-shaped pastry rounds on top. Place on a baking paper-lined oven tray and bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2Place chicken in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium heat, simmer for 8 minutes, remove from heat and rest chicken in water to cool, then using fingers finely shred chicken.
- 3Heat olive oil in a saucepan, add shallots and cook over low-medium heat for 8 minutes, then add cream, chicken and Truffle Salsa and simmer until reduced to a thick consistency. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon mixture into vol-au-vents and serve immediately.
Note Tetsuya's Black Truffle Salsa is available from David Jones Foodhalls.