This classic chicken noodle soup is one for the soul, and your appetite. Use a whole chicken to make a clean and clear chicken broth, then shred the meat, add some vermicelli noodles, and your comfort bowl of goodness is on its way.
- 1.6 kg free-range chicken
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 100 gm vermicelli, coarsely broken
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Place chicken in a large pot with vegetables, bay leaves, peppercorns and 3 litres of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Strain liquid into a clean saucepan and discard vegetables. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove skin, coarsely shred meat and refrigerate until required.
- 2Bring chicken stock to the boil, add vermicelli and simmer for 8 minutes or until tender, add chicken meat and herbs and season to taste. Serve with crusty bread.