- 1 chicken (1.6kg)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 80 gm sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 80 ml milk (⅓ cup)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 golden shallots, coarsely chopped
- 80 gm duck fat
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 250 gm unsprayed lucerne hay (see note)
- 10 cinnamon quills
- 10 star anise
- 2 tbsp each fennel seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds
- Thinly peeled rind of 2 lemons and 2 oranges
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. For lemon stuffing, combine bread and milk in a bowl, stand until bread softens (10 seconds), drain and squeeze out excess milk (discard). Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add garlic and shallot, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes), cool, then combine in a food processor with bread mixture and remaining ingredients. Season to taste, process to combine and set aside.
- 2Gently separate the skin from chicken breasts with your fingers, then spoon in a little stuffing and spread evenly across breast by gently running your hand over skin to smooth out. Spoon remaining stuffing into cavity, seal with a skewer, season chicken to taste and set aside.
- 3For spiced hay, combine ingredients in a large casserole with a tight-fitting lid, mix well to combine and set aside.
- 4Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Place on top of hay mixture, cover and roast until just cooked through (1½ hours-1 hour 40 minutes). Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 5Preheat a char-grill pan over high heat, grill lemon wedges until slightly charred and serve with hot hay-roasted chicken.
Lucerne hay is available from select agricultural suppliers.
This recipe is from the May 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: Wine suggestion 2010 Gonnet Père & Fils, Côtes du Rhône Villages, France. Drink suggestion by Matthew Dunne
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm