It may seem a little extraordinary; thinly slicing raw squash and zucchini and tossing it through a salad, but these vegetables are wonderful eaten raw when they are at their seasonal peak.
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 zucchini flowers, thickly sliced lengthways
- 4 yellow squash, thinly sliced widthways
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced widthways
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced widthways
- 1 green zucchini, thinly sliced widthways
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups (loosely packed) organic nasturtium leaves and flowers (see note)
Lemon and marjoram dressing
- 160 ml extra-virgin olive oil (2/3 cup)
- 80 ml lemon juice (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp marjoram leaves
- 1For lemon and marjoram dressing, whisk olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl, add marjoram and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- 2Combine ingredients except nasturtium leaves and flowers in a bowl, add dressing and season to taste. Stand for 5 minutes for flavours to infuse, then serve scattered with nasturtium leaves and flowers.
Nasturtium leaves and flowers are available from garden centres or specialty growers, such as Darling Mills, (02) 9655 1339. If unavailable, substitute with snow pea leaves.
Drink Suggestion: Spanish albariño. Drink suggestion by Max Allen