This creamy, herby mix is the traditional filling for the northern Italian pasta dish of rotolo di pasta ripieno, but you can use it in a variety of other stuffed pastas. The only limit is your imagination.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 bunches spinach, trimmed
- 1 bunch chicory, trimmed
- 400 gm ricotta
- 100 gm finely grated parmesan
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- To taste: freshly grated nutmeg
- 1Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until tender (5-10 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, blanch spinach and chicory until just tender (5-10 seconds), then refresh. Drain, squeeze out excess water, coarsely chop and add to onion mixture with remaining ingredients. Season liberally to taste and refrigerate until required for rotolo di pasta ripieno recipe.