This is a much-improved version of canned tuna meets those fantastic French jars of beans in oil. Don’t forget the squeeze of lemon as it makes all the difference. You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 500 ml (2 cups) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Pinch of fennel seeds
- 200 gm (1 cup) each of dried borlotti and cannellini beans, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- 1 kg piece of skinless tuna, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200 gm baby green beans
- To serve: lemon wedges
- 1Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, thyme and fennel seeds and sauté over medium heat until vegetables just soften (5-7 minutes). Add drained beans, remaining olive oil and 500ml water and bring to the simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until beans are just tender (1-1½ hours). Add tuna and green beans and cook until beans are tender and tuna is cooked (4-5 minutes). Season to taste and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Fruity grenache rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsFarmer is a new cookbook raising funds for the droughtYesterday 12:00am