Here’s a salad that’s as simple as it is delicious. Make a double quantity of the dressing to use as a sauce for grilled fish.
- 4 baby cos lettuces, halved
- For brushing: olive oil
- To serve: crusty bread
Lemon-anchovy butter dressing
- 80 gm Italian cultured butter, coarsely chopped (see note)
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1Heat a char-grill pan over medium heat. Brush cos with olive oil and grill cut-side down until charred (2-3 minutes). Turn and grill other side (2-3 minutes), then transfer to a large serving dish.
- 2For lemon-anchovy butter dressing, stir butter, anchovies and rosemary in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter melts, season to taste, add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Drizzle warm dressing over lettuce and serve with crusty bread.
Italian cultured butter, available from select Italian delicatessens and grocers, has a wonderful nutty flavour. If it’s unavailable, substitute another cultured butter.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of