This flavour combination is the essence of summer.
- 3 eggplant (about 960gm), cut widthways into 1½ cm-thick slices
- 250 gm haloumi, thickly sliced
- ½ cup (loosely packed) mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 400 gm very ripe vine-ripened tomatoes (about 4), coarsely chopped
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1For tomato vinaigrette, purée tomatoes in a food processor, pass through a fine sieve into a bowl (discard seeds and skin), stir in olive oil and vinegar and season to taste.
- 2Preheat a char-grill over medium-high heat. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and grill, in batches, turning once until cooked through (4-5 minutes each side).
- 3Increase char-grill to high heat, brush haloumi with olive oil, grill until golden (1-2 minutes each side). Arrange with eggplant on serving plates, drizzle with vinaigrette, scatter with mint and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Dry but full-flavoured rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am