This salad can be made ahead and put together at the last minute. If you short on time, omit grilling the eggplant and buy some from a good delicatessen.
- 2 eggplant, thickly sliced crossways
- 100 ml grapeseed oil
- 200 gm small green lentils
- 125 ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- ½ cup (loosely packed) each mint and coriander, coarsely chopped
- 240 gm thick natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Heat a barbecue or char-grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush eggplant with oil, then grill, turning occasionally, until deep golden-brown and tender (3-5 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 2Cook lentils in a large saucepan of unsalted boiling water until tender (18-24 minutes), then drain well and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, combine olive oil, vinegar and shallots in a bowl, add warm lentils and season to taste, then set aside. Just before serving, toss through eggplant, pomegranate and herbs.
- 4For sesame yoghurt, whisk yoghurt, tahini, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl, then stir in olive oil and season to taste.
- 5Arrange salad on a platter and serve with sesame yoghurt sauce to the side.
Drink Suggestion: Spicy grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm