Hiyayakko, silken tofu served cold with various toppings, is a classic izakaya dish. It's very refreshing, and only gets better as the weather gets warmer.
- 1 tbsp julienned ginger
- 1 block silken tofu (300gm), chilled
- 1 small spring onion (optional), thinly sliced, to serve
- 2 radishes, cut into julienne
- 1 tbsp bonito flakes
Soy sesame dressing
- 1 tbsp sashimi soy sauce or Japanese light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil, or to taste
- 1Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and blanch ginger to soften the flavour a little (10 seconds). Drain and set aside.
- 2For soy sesame dressing, stir ingredients in a small bowl, season with finely ground white pepper and set aside.
- 3Carefully turn tofu out of its container (this is easiest if you break the suction of the container by pulling the container's sides a little. If it does break, cut the tofu into large pieces) onto a serving plate. Top with ginger, radish and bonito flakes, drizzle with soy sesame dressing and serve cold.
Drink Suggestion: Orange, skin-fermented semillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen