The slippery texture of tapioca makes for an ideal hot-weather dessert. Ours is spiked with matcha to give not only a beautiful colour, but unexpected flavour, too.
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 100 gm tapioca pearls
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 60 gm coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp matcha
- Coconut cream, sliced banana and shaved coconut, to serve
- 1Place coconut milk, tapioca, vanilla bean and seeds, and 200ml water in a saucepan and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- 2Add sugar and a pinch of salt to pan, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until tapioca is tender (10-12 minutes). Whisk matcha and 2 tbsp hot water in a small bowl until smooth, then strain into tapioca mixture and stir to combine. Divide among small serving bowls or cups and refrigerate to chill completely (2-3 hours). Serve drizzled with a little coconut cream and topped with sliced banana and shaved coconut.
Drink Suggestion: Sherbety, frothy moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm