- 500 ml crème fraîche, chilled
- 100 gm fine sea salt (¼ cup)
- 24 small potatoes such as Dutch cream, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1Whisk crème fraîche in an electric mixer on medium speed until butterfat and buttermilk separate, then drain (discard buttermilk). Add 125ml iced water, mash with a fork and drain. Repeat until water is clean. Stir in 60gm salt and refrigerate until required. Makes 1½ cups butter. Butter will keep refrigerated for 5 days.
- 2Preheat oven to 190C. Place potatoes in a bowl, drizzle with oil, add remaining salt, toss to combine and transfer to a roasting tray. Roast until golden and cooked through (45-55 minutes), then set aside to steam (5 minutes). Cut a cross on top of each potato, top with whipped cultured butter and chives, season to taste and serve.