The hunt for the perfect roast potatoes recipe is over. Par-boil the potatoes first for fluffiness, then shake them vigorously to rough up the edges – this increases their surface area so they get that golden colour all over. And enter duck fat, your secret weapon for flavoursome roast potatoes with maximum crisp and crunch.
- 1 kg small Dutch cream or small Sebago potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 100 gm duck fat
- 1 garlic head, cloves separated
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Place potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water, bring to the boil over high heat and cook until just starting to soften (8-10 minutes), drain immediately and return to saucepan. Shake pan vigorously to roughen edges of potato.
- 2Heat duck fat in oven in a roasting pan large enough to hold potatoes in a single layer until very hot (4-5 minutes). Add potatoes, garlic and rosemary to pan, shake carefully to coat in duck fat, season generously and roast until dark golden and crisp (25-30 minutes), serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 4:00am