Makes about 1½ cups.
- 3 Spanish onions, cut into wedges
- 250 ml apple cider vinegar (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp each of black mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1Combine onion wedges and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until reduced by half. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add spices and sauté for2 minutes or until fragrant, then add onion and vinegar mixture, sugar and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until liquid has reduced and thickened. Pickled onions will keep, refrigerated, for 3 weeks.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am