A great potato salad is a must at every barbecue. The key is to use really fresh potatoes from a good greengrocer. Chat potatoes work well because they are creamy and small, but if you want to use a larger potato, the royal blue variety also has a lovely creamy texture. Purslane, a succulent used in Greek and Italian cooking, adds a delicious tang here.
- 24 small chat potatoes, scrubbed
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 small Tuscan red onion, cut into thin rings, placed in iced water for 5 minutes (see note)
- 1 cup (firmly packed) dill sprigs
- 2 cups (loosely packed) each watercress and purslane (see note)
- 2 tsp baby capers in salt, rinsed, drained
- 1Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until tender (10-20 minutes). Drain, then set aside to cool slightly.
- 2Meanwhile, combine crème fraîche, lemon juice and rind in a small bowl, season to taste.
- 3Combine potatoes (halve larger ones) in a large bowl with crème fraîche mixture, onion and half the dill, watercress and purslane, season to taste and toss to combine. Arrange remaining greens and capers on a platter, top with potato mixture and serve.
Note Tuscan red onion is a long oval-shaped red onion. If it's unavailable, substitute half a Spanish onion. Purslane is available from select greengrocers. If it's unavailable, use extra watercress.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am