- 24 medium green prawns (about 500gm)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 golden shallots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 mint stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled and coarsely grated
- 125 ml white wine (½ cup)
- ½ cup mint leaves (loosely packed)
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- To serve: mint leaf tips
- 1Peel prawns and remove veins, leaving 12 prawns with tails intact, reserve shells. Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan, add half the shallot and half the garlic and sauté for 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved shells and mint stalks and cook for 5 minutes or until coloured. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 10 minutes, strain and discard solids. Return stock to a clean saucepan, bring to the boil, add prawns and cook for 2 minutes or until cooked through. Remove prawns, cool and refrigerate until needed.
- 2Heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add remaining shallot and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until softened. Add cucumber and sauté for 3 minutes, then add white wine and cook for 1 minute. Add stock, remove from heat and cool. Process stock mixture, prawns without tails, mint leaves and lemon rind in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
- 3To serve, skewer remaining chilled prawns on toothpicks. Ladle chilled soup into small cups or glasses, scatter with mint tips and serve with a skewered prawn.