- 500 gm medium uncooked prawns
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 eggwhite
- 1 tsp each soy sauce, sesame oil and cornflour
- 12 thick slices of white bread
Black vinegar and chilli dipping sauce
- 80 ml Chinkiang vinegar (see note) (1/3 cup)
- 60 ml light soy sauce (¼ cup)
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1For black vinegar and chilli dipping sauce, place ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
- 2Process ingredients except bread, sesame seeds and vegetable oil in a food processor until smooth and season to taste. Spread onto bread, cut off crusts and cut each piece in half diagonally. Scatter with sesame seeds and gently press them into the prawn mixture.
- 3Heat oil in a deep-fryer or a deep-sided frying pan to 180C. Fry toasts in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp (3-4 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit), then drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with black vinegar and chilli dipping sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Bottle-aged riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen