- 1.5 kg cooked prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- Tostadas (see note), sliced avocado, coriander cress (or other cress) and lime wedges, to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- 4 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 200 ml malt vinegar
- 100 gm caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lime, finely grated rind of ½
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo, finely chopped, or to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 250 gm crème fraîche
- 1For corn relish, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, fennel, garlic and chilli and sauté until onion is translucent (4-5 minutes). Add coriander seeds and cook until fragrant, then stir in corn kernels and season to taste. Add vinegar, sugar and 150ml water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until corn is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated (12-15 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and rind, check seasoning, transfer to a sterilised jar (see note), seal and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight to pickle. Corn relish will keep refrigerated for a month.
- 2For chipotle crème fraîche, process chilli, garlic and lime juice in a small food processor until smooth. Whisk crème fraîche to soft peaks, fold in chipotle mixture, season to taste and refrigerate until required. Chipotle crème fraîche will keep refrigerated for 2 days.
- 3Spread tostadas with chipotle crème fraîche, top with prawns, corn relish, avocado and coriander, and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
Tostadas, crisp fried or toasted tortillas, are available from select delicatessens, or you can make your own by shallow-frying corn tortillas in vegetable oil until crisp. To sterilise jars and lids, run them through the hot rinse cycle in a dishwasher, or wash them in hot soapy water, rinse well, place on a tray in a cold oven and heat at 120C for 30 minutes.