Here we've revamped this Tex-Mex classic as a tasty party-starter. Serve it straight from the oven to feed a hungry crowd.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken thigh fillets (about 150gm each)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander and smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400 gm canned chopped tomato
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo (see note)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 200 gm (1 cup) canned black beans, drained
- 250 gm corn chips or tortilla chips
- 200 gm cheddar, coarsely grated
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1½ jalapeño chillies, finely chopped, or to taste
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ ripe avocados
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Heat oil in a large casserole or saucepan over medium-high heat, add chicken and brown well all over (4-5 minutes), then set aside. Add onion and garlic to casserole, sauté until tender and translucent (4-5 minutes), add spices and season to taste. Deglaze pan with vinegar, add tomato, stock, chipotle, oregano and chicken, bring to a simmer, then cook in oven, turning chicken occasionally, until tender (50 minutes to 1 hour). Set aside to cool slightly, then shred chicken, stir in beans and season to taste.
- 2Increase oven to 180C. For tomato salsa, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside for flavours to develop (10-15 minutes).
- 3For avocado crema, process ingredients in a small food processor until smooth, season to taste, cover and refrigerate until required.
- 4Scatter chips on a large baking tray, top with chicken and bean mixture, scatter with cheddar then bake until golden and bubbling (10-12 minutes). Serve topped with radish, salsa, avocado and coriander.