Very ripe tomatoes make all the difference here. Serve this quick stew with bread or on a grilled fillet of fish.
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, scored
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 eggplant, halved lengthways, then cut diagonally into wedges
- 1 kg okra, trimmed
- 2 onions, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1Turn tomatoes over a gas flame using tongs until skin blisters (20-30 seconds each side; using a blowtorch also works well, or simply blanch tomatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until the skin separates). Cool briefly, then peel and dice.
- 2Fry eggplant in 2 tbsp olive oil in a wide, deep frying pan over high heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown (3-5 minutes), then set aside. Add okra to pan and cook, turning occasionally, until golden (2-4 minutes), then set aside. Reduce heat to medium, add remaining oil and onion to pan and sauté until translucent (10-15 minutes).
Add garlic, turmeric and ginger, and stir until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Add tomato, okra, eggplant and 2 tbsp water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are tender (10-15 minutes). Add chickpeas, warm through (1 minute), then season to taste and serve scattered with parsley.
Drink Suggestion: Spicy red grenache. Drink suggestion by Max Allen