These little morsels may be on the diminutive side, but they punch well above their weight in the flavour stakes. If you wanted to make them gluten-free, you could substitute the flour with teff flour.
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- 2 tsp coarsely crushed cumin seeds
- 200 gm red lentils (1 cup)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100 gm self-raising flour
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus lemon halves to serve
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- ½ cup (firmly packed) coriander
- 1/3 cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 70 ml olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 250 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes). Stir in spices and fry until fragrant (30 seconds), then add lentils and 650ml water, bring to a simmer, cover and cook until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed (8-10 minutes). Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, for green yoghurt, process herbs, garlic, chilli, spices and 2 tbsp cold water in a small blender to coarsely chop, add olive oil and lemon juice and process to a fine purée. Transfer to a bowl, season to taste, swirl in yoghurt and set aside.
- 3Stir egg yolks into lentils, then stir in flour and lemon rind and season generously to taste. Whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl to firm peaks and fold into lentil mixture.
- 4Preheat oven to 180C and heat 3cm oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add heaped tablespoonfuls of lentil mixture in batches and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown (2-3 minutes). Drain on paper towels and keep warm in oven while you cook remaining fritters. Serve hot with green yoghurt and lemon halves.
Drink Suggestion: Refreshing Aperol Spritz.
Drink suggestion by Max Allen.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm