- 750 ml milk (3 cups)
- 200 gm short-grain rice, such as arborio (1 cup)
- 20 gm butter, diced
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 piece of thinly peeled lemon rind
- 110 gm caster sugar (½ cup)
- 60 gm plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp golden rum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Pure icing sugar, for dusting
Rhubarb and winter strawberry jam
- 400 gm rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 200 gm strawberries, hulled, halved
- 600 gm white sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1Combine milk, rice, butter, vanilla bean and seeds and lemon rind in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender (20-25 minutes). Transfer to a bowl, cool to room temperature (30-45 minutes) and discard vanilla bean. Add sugar, flour, egg, rum, and baking powder, stir to combine and refrigerate until firm (4-6 hours; if the mixture feels a little too wet add 1 tbsp of plain flour until it comes together).
- 2For rhubarb and strawberry jam, place rhubarb, strawberries and 50ml water in a saucepan over medium heat. and cook partially covered, stirring frequently, until rhubarb is tender (12-15 minutes). Add sugar and lemon juice and cook until mixture reaches setting point (15-20 minutes; see cook's notes p177). Set aside to cool.
- 3Heat oil to 180C in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan. Deep-fry heaped tablespoonfuls of batter in batches until golden (2-3 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Dust with icing sugar and serve with rhubarb and strawberry jam.
Drink Suggestion: Sparkling moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen