- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1.6 kg black Angus scotch fillet
- 400 gm baby cavolo nero
Crushed potato, fennel and horseradish salad
- 1 kg kipfler potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 baby fennel
- 2 tbsp julienne horseradish root (see note)
Black pepper dressing
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp hot English mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 125 ml olive oil (½ cup)
- 1For black pepper dressing, place pepper in a mortar and, using a pestle, coarsely crush. Place mustard, vinegar and garlic in a bowl and whisk to combine, then gradually whisk in oil, stir through crushed pepper and season to taste with sea salt.
- 2For crushed potato, fennel and horseradish salad, place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water, season with sea salt, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain, crush coarsely with a fork and set aside. Using a mandolin finely shave fennel and place into acidulated water. Using a vegetable peeler peel horseradish, then peel root lengthways into thin strips. Drain fennel and combine with horseradish and potatoes, season to taste and drizzle with a little black pepper dressing.
- 3Preheat oven to 200C. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, add scotch fillet and cook over high heat, turning frequently, for 3-5 minutes or until evenly browned. Place fillet into a roasting pan and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place roasting pan into oven and roast for 40 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- 4Heat remaining oil in a frying pan, add cavolo nero and sauté for 3-5 minutes or
until just wilted, season to taste. Slice beef into 1cm pieces. Spoon cavolo nero onto plates, top with crushed potato salad, 2 slices of beef, drizzle with remaining black pepper dressing and serve immediately.
Note Horseradish root is available from select greengrocers.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am