Sausages braised with grains or vegetables and aromatics make a great one-pot meal that's ready to go when you need something unfussy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 merguez sausages (about 600gm)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 180 gm pearl barley
- 500 ml chicken stock (2 cups)
- 50 gm currants
- Wilted greens, such as silverbeet, and finely grated lemon rind, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Heat oil in a casserole (or flameproof roasting pan) over medium heat, add sausages and fry, turning occasionally, until browned (2-3 minutes). Set aside. Add onion to casserole and fry until starting to caramelise (10-15 minutes). Add barley, chicken stock, currants and 250ml water, season and bring to a simmer, return sausages to pan, then cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil, transfer to oven and braise until liquid is absorbed and barley is tender (1-1 ¼ hours).
- 2Scatter braised sausages and barley with lemon rind and serve with wilted greens.
Drink Suggestion: Supple Spanish tempranillo Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm