Serve raw seafood such as this crudo on a large bowl or platter of ice. For extra points, prepare two platters ahead and keep the second chilling while guests help themselves to the first.
- 1 kg snapper, skin removed, pin-boned and thinly sliced
- 1 small loaf dark rye bread, thickly sliced, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 125 gm trout roe
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (loosely packed) chervil, torn
- 60 gm mayonnaise
- 60 ml (¼ cup) buttermilk
- 1For buttermilk dressing, whisk ingredients together in a bowl and season to taste.
- 2Arrange snapper on two large platters and chill until ready to serve.
- 3Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to high. Brush bread with olive oil and grill, turning occasionally until golden and charred (1-2 minutes each side). Transfer to a bread basket.
- 4To serve, top one platter of snapper with half the cucumber, roe, onion and chervil, season to taste with black pepper and lime juice and place on ice. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with toasts. Repeat with second platter when ready.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am