You will need to begin this recipe 1 day ahead.
- ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- 750 gm eggplants (about 3)
- 2 400gm cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 150 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp each ground allspice and ground coriander
- 1 loaf ciabatta, thinly sliced widthways
- 1Place chickpeas in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes or until tender, drain and set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Cut eggplant lengthways into 6 wedges, place in a baking dish, crush tomatoes over, drizzle with ½ cup oil, scatter with spices and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 2 hours, then remove foil and cook for another hour or until liquid thickens to sauce consistency.
- 3Meanwhile, brush bread with remaining olive oil, place on baking trays and bake, turning once, for 5-6 minutes or until golden.
- 4Stir chickpeas through eggplant and serve with toasts passed separately.