Lettuce can be used in stir-fries just like any other green, but it's best to use a crisp variety such as cos, baby gem or iceberg, which will stand up to cooking while maintaining a little texture. Other greens such as Siamese watercress, choy sum or even silverbeet are great choices, too, but thinly slice the large stalks or stir-fry them first to cook them properly.
- 60 ml grapeseed oil (¼ cup)
- 250 gm streaky bacon rashers, rind removed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 baby gem lettuces, washed, drained well, leaves separated
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- To serve: thinly sliced long red chillies
- To serve: steamed jasmine rice
- 1Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat, add bacon and fry until golden (3-4 minutes), then set aside. Heat remaining oil in wok until smoking, then add garlic and stir-fry until just tender, but not brown (5 seconds). Add lettuce and stir to combine, then add oyster sauce and stock, and stir-fry until lettuce is just wilted. Toss bacon through, scatter with chillies and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Drink Suggestion: Rich cidre from Normandy. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am