This relish is great on a sandwich with sliced ham and cheddar, or rolled up in a soft taco with grilled spice-rubbed chicken, oxheart tomato and coriander leaves. It's also fantastic drizzled with fresh lime juice in a salad of black beans, avocado and yellow grape tomatoes and served with grilled prawns. Makes 1.5 litres.
- 400 ml apple cider vinegar
- 220 gm (1 cup) white sugar
- 2 tsp each yellow mustard seeds and fennel seeds
- 2 tsp each white peppercorns and coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 6 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- ½ Spanish onion, finely diced
- 4 long red chillies, thinly sliced widthways
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1Combine vinegar, sugar, spices, salt and 250ml water in a non-reactive pan, stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients, bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium, simmer until tender (15-20 minutes). Transfer to sterilised jars, seal jars, stand until cooled, then refrigerate. Corn relish will keep refrigerated for 3-4 weeks after opening.