These may be served as a snack, or with rice and Japanese pickles as a meal.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 quail, butterflied and halved
- To serve: finely chopped chives, toasted sesame seeds and steamed rice
- 50 ml sake
- 50 ml mirin
- 50 ml dark soy sauce
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 1For teriyaki sauce, combine ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to the boil over medium heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved (2-3 minutes), set aside. Teriyaki sauce will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 month.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add quail in batches, skin-side down, and cook, turning once, until golden (2-3 minutes each side). Return quail to pan, add teriyaki sauce and simmer until slightly thickened (3-4 minutes). Scatter with chives and sesame seeds and serve hot with steamed rice.
Drink Suggestion: Amontillado sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm