- 2 sourdough baguettes (about 500gm each), ends trimmed, cut into 15cm lengths
- 12 thin slices Emmenthal
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 200 gm brown sugar
- 75 ml dry apple cider
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra, to serve
- 1.5 kg piece honey-smoked pork leg or shoulder
Cabbage, basil and apple salad
- 500 gm (about ½ small) white cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup thinly sliced basil
- 1 pink lady apple, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 300 gm aïoli (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp seeded mustard
- 3 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 1For cider-glazed ham, combine apple cider vinegar, sugar and apple cider with mustard in a large bowl, then add ham, turn to coat and refrigerate 1-2 hours to marinate.
- 2Preheat oven to 220C. Line a roasting pan with foil (this stops the glaze crusting on the pan) and place ham on top, pour marinade over and roast, basting occasionally, until ham is golden and glazed (30-40 minutes). Set aside to rest (10 minutes), keeping warm, then carve.
- 3For cabbage, basil and apple salad, toss ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 4Split baguette pieces down the centre, arrange sliced ham on the bases, then Emmenthal, top with cabbage salad and sandwich with baguette tops. Serve with Dijon mustard on the side.