"Packed with flavour, and served long and tall, this is an ideal drink for a balmy afternoon," says Ashton. "Bright acidity is balanced by sweet vanillins, rounded out by the dry tannins of the kombucha." Start this recipe a day ahead to make the vanilla oleo-saccharum, a fragrant syrup infused with citrus.
- 20 ml white rum
- 60 ml Black Radish organic apple kombucha (see note)
- 10 ml lime juice
- 70 ml Australian sparkling wine
Citrus vanilla oleo-saccharum
- 250 gm caster sugar
- ¼ tsp orange-blossom water
- 1For citrus vanilla oleo-saccharum, work sugar and vanilla seeds into the lemon zest in a sealable container until well combined, seal and stand at room temperature for 2 hours to infuse, then refrigerate overnight for flavours to develop. Add juice to zest mixture along with orange-blossom water, stir well to dissolve sugar, then stand at room temperature for 2 hours to infuse. Pass through a fine strainer, lightly pressing solids with the back of a spoon, then pass through muslin and transfer to a bottle and reserve. Makes about 500ml. Citrus vanilla oleo-saccharum will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- 2Pour rum, kombucha, lime juice and 20ml citrus vanilla oleo-saccharum into a glass filled with ice. Top with sparkling wine, stir gently, garnish with a lemon twist and serve.
Note "I highly recommend seeking out Black Radish kombucha products," says Ashton. "In my opinion they're the best on the market. They're made by a chef who understands balance and flavours. At a pinch, dry apple cider would work as a substitute."