You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 140 gm self-raising flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 110 gm (½ cup) white sugar
- 210 gm (¾ cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
- 70 gm natural almonds, finely ground, plus extra, shaved, to serve
- 110 gm (½ cup) caster sugar
- 280 gm (1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 40 gm (¼ cup) pure icing sugar, sieved
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 peaches, cut into wedges, stones discarded
- 200 gm white sugar
- 1 orange, juice only
- 1For vanilla yoghurt, place yoghurt in a muslin-lined sieve, place over a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to drain. Transfer yoghurt to a bowl, add icing sugar and vanilla, stir to combine and refrigerate until required.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Sift flour into a bowl and set aside. Whisk yolks and white sugar in an electric mixer until pale and creamy (5-7 minutes). Add yoghurt, olive oil, rind and juice, stir to combine, then fold in flour and ground almonds and set aside. Whisk eggwhite in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-4 minutes), then gradually add caster sugar and whisk until firm peaks form (1-2 minutes). Fold eggwhite mixture through yoghurt mixture, pour into a buttered, floured and base-lined 23cm-diameter springform cake tin and bake until golden and a skewer withdraws clean (35-40 minutes). Cool in tin on a wire rack. Cake is best eaten on day of making.
- 3Meanwhile, for orange-caramel peaches, place peaches in a heatproof bowl and set aside. Combine sugar and 60ml water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to remove sugar crystals, then cook until caramel (8-10 minutes). Add orange juice (be careful as mixture may spit), stir to dissolve. Pour over peaches, stir to combine and set aside for 1 hour, then spoon over cake, scatter with shaved almonds and serve with vanilla yoghurt.
Drink Suggestion: Grapy, sherbety moscato. Drink suggestion by Max Allen